Posted by Nigel Shock on 26 May 2020
To all members from the Club President.
It will probably come as no surprise to you that, due to coronavirus, the start of this year’s bowls season will be indefinitely postponed.
The Pre-Season meeting planned for 29 March is cancelled, there will be no Works Week and no Duty Rotas to sign up to, and the Open Day will be postponed. If the season does restart, these activities will be rescheduled then.
In more detail:
- The green will be closed for any bowls until further notice, so there will be no organised roll-ups or teas provided until further notice.
- There will be no matches against other Clubs (Leagues or Friendlies) and no Club Drives or special days until the Government restrictions are lifted, which seems unlikely to be before the end of July. After that, what were scheduled as League games will become Friendlies. There will be no League promotions or relegations.
- The Friday League will not run this year.
- Club Competitions will not start until restrictions have been lifted. At that point a review will take place on what it is possible to complete in the time remaining before Finals day. Depending on the number of entries, some competitions could be scrapped, and some rescheduled with much tighter end of round target dates or even set dates for games.
- National, Middlesex and Harrow and District Competitions (Singles, Pairs, Triples) will not take place this year. It is possible that the (late season) Harrow and District Vets League Cup could be rescued.
Over the Summer, if Government Guidelines permit and subject to the continued maintenance of the green by Hillingdon Council, the Committee will look into the possibility of informal use of the green by members, with caveats to prevent large numbers bowling and to ensure best practice to minimise the risk to participants.
As regards returning your Membership Forms and paying subscriptions, most people have done this already, but for those who haven’t I would ask you please to send the form and related fees in the post to Cliff as soon as possible. Although this will be a very disappointing season for the fee you pay, our major outgoings are large fees that we cannot avoid; Green Maintenance, Insurance, Rent of premises. Without your subscriptions the Club would come close to “going bust”, which would not help the hoped for revival of our Club next year. Please also include competition entries (with payments) as it is a guide to what competitions members would like to have entered, which will help when deciding which competitions might be rescued and which not. Fees that are unused will be refunded.
This is not happy news but it is a situation that we cannot avoid and must make the best of. We will keep members informed of any developments affecting playing at the Club. In the meantime the Committee’s main wish is that you all keep well, and can continue bowls later this season, or next season.
Nigel Shock President